bike rider doored by taxi, page-172

1. 11,316 Posts.
    It would make more sense for the motorist to have a bit of patience and wait for the road to be clear. If the motorist is in a position where he/she needs to make that sort of choice in a hurry, he/she has already made a really bad call.

Hi sji.

I Am Talking about my neck of the woods.

Cook H/way is a beautiful drive by the Ocean but more twists than a snake's broken back.

You can't have traffic going up and down Cook H/Way at 30Ks in case there is a cyclist coinciding with a Bus or B Double on the other side around a blind corner of many.

On the flat ground leading to the mountain climb not so bad, but still cycle deaths have happened.

I have seen a buses go over double lines to pass cyclists.

We don't have roads in North Qld that are cycle friendly.

Going by videos , Melbourne is a hornet's nest.

Bad move. Really, really, really bad move. I shake my head in despair whenever I see cyclists wearing headphones (and presumably listening to music as they ride) - it blocks out the ambient noise of the traffic around us, and that's a critical part of our safety. Communication headsets have the same issue.

True, if you must communicate then wouldn't just left ear and keep right roadside ear for danger.

I would think at the closing speed of impacting motorist, it would do you little good.

Good to have a calm,sensible discussion with you on this problem.

cheers,

syp

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.