bike rider doored by taxi, page-177

1. sjl
    1,203 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 322
    Sorry, sypaladin, missed your comment.
    You can't have traffic going up and down Cook H/Way at 30Ks in case there is a cyclist coinciding with a Bus or B Double on the other side around a blind corner of many.
    Counterpoint: what if there's a car broken down on the side of the road? Or a large tree fallen onto the road? If you can't see around the corner, and travel at speed, you've just broken one of the cardinal laws of the road. Sure, everybody does it - but it doesn't alter the fact that, on a blind corner, you do need to be able to adjust to unexpected conditions. Probably 99 times out of 100 it's not an issue - but hazards can exist without you being aware of them, and if you can't react in time, you're travelling too fast.

But, because it's always been okay before, people assume that it always will be okay, and travel according to that assumption. Which is great, right up until a tragedy happens.

I'm not saying that the cyclists are necessarily right to be travelling on that road; I don't know it, so I'm not going to even try to make that call. I'm simply pointing out that the problems you're pointing to are not the exclusive domain of the cyclist, and the road rules already cover the general situation.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.