bike rider doored by taxi, page-181

1. sjl
    1,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 328
    Which is it to be?

"It would make more sense for the motorist to have a bit of patience and wait for the road to be clear. If the motorist is in a position where he/she needs to make that sort of choice in a hurry, he/she has already made a really bad call."

"Lane splitting is done for a few reasons; in my case, when I do it, it's because traffic is banked back far enough that I'll get through the lights quicker by doing so"
    It's a question of safety. Can the car driver pass the cyclist safely? If not, then patience is key. Can the cyclist lane split safely? Again, if not, patience is key. If I'm not confident that it's safe for me to go through the middle, I won't.
    If/when the 1 metre rule comes into force, will need at least 2.6 metres between cars to lane split, which should be banned in any case, for both motor cycles and bikes.
    Depends on how it's worded: if it's one metre to pass a cyclist, then actually, no - because it's the cyclist passing the car. If it's one metre between bike and car at all times, then I really hope they're going to increase the width of bike lanes across the board, because I know quite a few where they simply aren't that wide.

And I guarantee you, if you try to ban lane splitting for motorcyclists when the cars are stopped, there will be a huge outcry; I don't ride motorbikes myself for a number of reasons, but I have several friends who do, and the ability to filter through stationary traffic is a big safety thing for them.
    Registration and clearly visible front and rear numberplates to make bike hoons easily trackable.
    Sounds great in theory. In practice, it's going to cost more than it brings in in revenue, and the increase in accountability tends to end up not being significant in comparison to the overall trouble cyclists cause others. Ask Ann Arbour (Michigan); Minneapolis (Minnesota); Tuscon (Arizona); and Switzerland how their registration schemes worked out. That's before you get into the practicality issues of fitting registration plates to bikes...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.