bike rider doored by taxi, page-279

1. sjl
    1,229 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 346
    You would find a person having their first accident would be more emotional and shaken up.
    And again with the assuming the worst of people. There are personality types that, when confronted by something like this, go into a mental state where they deal with the immediate issue, one thing at a time, in a very ordered manner ... and then, once it's all calmed down and safe, go into an "oh my God, what just happened?" state of shock. We are speculating, based upon a very short excerpt of video (again I reiterate, I have seen only what is on the Age's article; I have not been able to find the "full" video); that is not sufficient to make sweeping assertions beyond a very narrow limit about the individuals so depicted.
    If cyclists can't do the right thing and keep getting hit and killed, there will be action to curtail this.
    And now we move onto hyperbole. Here are some facts for you. From 2003 through to 2012, inclusive (and in order), the number of bicyclists killed on Australia's roads were 26, 43, 41, 39, 41, 28, 31, 38, 34, and 33. That's across the entire country. In comparison, fatalities for all road users - drivers, passengers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists - were 1621, 1583, 1627, 1598, 1603, 1437, 1488, 1352, 1277, and 1310. Hardly the carnage that your statement implies. (source - note, 2.7 MB PDF document.)

Should the ways roads are used be looked at, to try to make them safer? Absolutely. But let's get some facts into this discussion, rather than making sweeping statements that are unjustified on the facts, not to mention exposing (at least from my perspective) a pretty strong anti-cycling bias.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.