Bizarre Voting Rules in Australia - and how to beat it

1. 2,636 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 497
    OK - they have some pretty weird voting rules in the USA, which varies state by state,
    None is so weird though as Australia, where it is NOT COMPULSORY to vote, but you get fined if you don't show up....so that is several hours out of people's lives. So this is a defacto government tax. Especially if you have the complete tossers that have been running lately.

So, there is a simple way out.....find someone, partner, sibling, colleague etc, who agrees that all the candidates' are complete tossers, and decide to vote for the top two, ie. first and 2nd. 1st for person A 2nd for person B

OK so it takes some time out of your life - but by neutralizing the vote, that time is well spent, as you have effectively beaten the system ...and you avoid a fine.

There is an option B - which i can assure you i have done previously, and that is to write 'all wankers' on the paper. And no spoiled papers do not get counted, they are considered as 'informal.

Under the present circumstance though, i have a feeling that if it was not compulsory to turn up, the next general election would attract maybe 30-40% ---- why not test the system....and not turn up to vote .....then elect for court when you get the fine - 15m court cases...i think the system would die...which shows how stupid it is.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.