PET 0.00% 2.5¢ phoslock environmental technologies limited

Blauwalgen in the Benelux

1. 1,061 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1549
    Earlier this week I was doing some research into the blue-green algae problems in Belgium, in response to a comment by Mickem in a post about a week ago regarding potential projects in that country.

Although there is no shortage of evidence of blue-green algae problems in Belgium at the moment, I wasn't able to find any direct evidence that linked Phoslock to anything there.

However, shortly after mentioning this in that last post, I thought I should have a quick look at the Phoslock Europe Facebook page, and sure enough, they had a recent update on a phoslock treatment in Belgium. It turns out that I had looked everywhere except for the most obvious place.

Here is the photo taken from the Facebook page:

Phoslock Belgium Reservoit

This second photo gives a better idea as to the size of this Reservoir-

Phoslock Beligium pic 2

As can be seen from the photo above, this wouldn't have been a tiny application by any means. Sixty hectares would equate to a square block of land of just under 800 metres by 800 metres, and my guess is the surface area of this Reservoir would be comparable to that of Lac Bromont in Quebec. If this assumption is correct, then the project mentioned on the Facebook page would be worth several hundred thousand dollars AUD.

In the recent Half Yearly Report announcement that was released on the 23rd of August, there was a mention of a major Belgium project on page 7:

...Our European team is currently working on several major projects planned for the second half of 2019 or early 2020 in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the UK and Finland...

Note the date on the Facebook post above, 21 August. The wording of the paragraph in the announcement seems to suggest that these 'major projects' hadn't yet been implemented at the time of the announcement release on the 23rd, so I'm guessing that this reservoir application wasn't the Belgium project referred to here. I doubt the company would count anything under the million dollar mark as a major project these days anyway.

So, if this application isn't the major project in Belgium, then what is it?. Impossible to say with any certainty, but recent Belgian media reports seem to be fixated on two algae contaminated water-bodies.

The first of these is in the Blaarmeersen, a recreational park in the Belgian city of Ghent that includes a lake that is used for water sports.

The heading of this local report from the region early this week tells you all you need to know:

Blue-green algae disaster for the catering industry at Blaarmeersen: "As many people as on a winter's day".

A translated extract from the report is below-

...The temperatures went up again this weekend, but they can't laugh at that in the Blaarmeersen. Blue-green algae have been found in the lake. There is a total swimming ban in the domain for the next two weeks. A disaster for the hotel and catering industry, "There are as many people as a winter's day," the managers say.

30 and 31 degrees at the Blaarmeersen this weekend. Normally a top weekend for the hospitality industry, but blue-green algae put a stop to that. Since Thursday there has been a complete swimming ban, this for fourteen days. The entire pond is bordered with barriers and ribbon, clearly indicating that a swimming ban applies, and why. That did not only happen on the beach - actually the only place where you can swim - but around the entire lake. It was a bizarre view of the Blaarmeersen, a hundred people were scattered over the empty beaches and lawns. Most people sat under the shade of a tree. A huge contrast with the previous heat wave in June.

"We did not expect it to have such an impact. This is a disaster for us ”, say Alain Van Haute and Yvan Vyane who, among other things, run Le Beach House in the Blaarmeersen. “We had been planning and stocking up for a whole week for this weekend. And we also had to provide enough staff. The previous heat wave at the weekend brought a crowd of people with us, we must be prepared. On Thursday we heard the bad news of the blue-green algae. Normally there are queues at the bar in such weather, now it can be compared to a winter day. It is less than half the normal traffic. "

Despite all the warning signs around the shores of the lake, apparently some people were still keen for a dip, as noted at the end of the report:

...Some appeared not to care much. They crawled under the ribbons to dive into the water. The rescuers must therefore call out the offenders, "We ask them to come out of the water," the rescuers say. “If they do not want to listen, we call in the police and security. Then the daredevils can get a fine. ”This weekend a large, international water polo tournament was also planned at Blaarmeersen. Fortunately this could be moved to the canoe and kayak club Gekko at the Watersportbaan.

Sounds like they need an idiot-proof solution here: phoslock, for example.

The above report highlights the direct economic impact of blue-green algae, as well the difficulty in keeping people out of algae contaminated water in densely populated areas.

Blue-green algae is also causing some consternation for those living near the Roeselare – Leie canal, a 16 kilometre artificial waterway in the west of Belgium, which is a popular spot for water sports and fishing. Local Belgian reports suggest that there have been cyanobacteria problems in the canal for three years running.

Last edited by Inchiquin: 31/08/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PET (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.