bligh attacks paid lobbyists

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    and calls for Australia wide change...

By Chris O'Brien and staff

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has stepped up her criticism of lobbyists, saying some of them are liars.

Ms Bligh has faced a week of controversy about business links to her government and is suffering in the polls.

She has moved to ban all her Labor Government MPs from attending fundraising dinners, lunches or breakfasts with business people.

She has told ABC Radio's AM program that she is not aware of anything improper happening at such fundraisers, but acknowledges there is problem with a public perception.

"There is no doubt that there is a perception from the Australian public that these sorts of fundraisers may give rise to some sort of influence above and beyond what an ordinary citizen would have in influencing the elected government of the day," she said.

"There is an emerging view from the Australian public that these sorts of functions cause them some concern.

"From my perspective, I don't like them. I never have and I think it is time they become a thing of the past."

The latest Galaxy opinion poll suggests 65 per cent of Queenslanders believe that corruption and cronyism are widespread in her government.

But Ms Bligh says the business community does not need to pay lobbyists in order to get ahead in Queensland.

"There are many people out there who are earning money as lobbyists - people who are telling businesses that they need their services to get along in Queensland," she said.

"My message to the business community of Queensland is clear - if there is a lobbyist out there telling you that you need their services to do business with my government, they are lying to you.

"They are lying to you because they are trying to make money out of you - don't believe them."

And Ms Bligh, who is also one of three federal ALP presidents, believes there is good reason for the major political parties to adopt much tougher rules on donations and influence at a national level.

"There is no doubt that the public concerns about this do not stop at the Queensland border," she said.

"My view is that over the next couple of years we are likely to see - or at least the next 12 months - a very strong public debate about some of these issues.

"You may be aware that the Federal Government under Kevin Rudd's leadership has issued a discussion paper on a broad range of changes to political fundraising to donations to the electoral provisions.

"That is an important part of getting this right. Here in Queensland I am moving on this one but I do think it is something that political parties around the country are going to have to confront."

Ms Bligh has challenged Queensland Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek to match her ban on MPs attending fundraisers with business people.

But Mr Langbroek has already asked his party to find another way of raising money.

Queensland Liberal National Party (LNP) president Bruce McIver says he is working with the parliamentary wing to make changes.

"We are reviewing the process there," he said.

"The decision won't have to be made until next year, but the decision we are making is that we will not be doing anything that is seen not to be above board.

"I think any party other than Labor would be hurt very badly.

"We all know that Labor's main source of income would then be the union movement and is she talking of banning Labor ministers from attending fundraisers of the union movement as well? It's a diversionary tactic from the real issues that are faced in Queensland."

Electoral Commission returns show the ALP has received more than $3 million this year from its investment arm Labor Holdings.

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.