blighs choice of transport minister, page-6

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    SharesRfun

You are right. Of course traffic laws ought to be obeyed including speed limits but I think you would be surprised at who gets speeding tickets. You will find they come from all areas of society including law enforcement officers, some very senior, judges, lawyers, doctors, politicians, clergymen and just about every other occupation you can name. The question is why do they do it? Something is not working.The number of tickets issued around Australia is astronomical and it is liklely that for every time a ticket is issued there is probably another hundred or more offences that are not caught. Perhaps the speed limits set in some cases are unrealistic. Perhaps cars now have too much power and you can simply rest your foot on the accelerator and you will hit the 50 or 60kmh that apply to most metropolitan areas. Im not sure what the answer is but hundreds of millions have been spent by the States on road safety strategies and regardless what they do people still speed and infringe the traffic laws. All they seem to do after each failed strategy is to call for even lower speed limits or more money for advertising. I personally would like to see some really credible research done by Governments to establish the real hotspots or issues that create danger on our roads and to focus on those issues.

I know there has been huge amounts of research into road safety at a national and state level over decades but we still appear to have the same problems. This to me tells me a new tack is needed. It ought not be an insurmountable problem.

Maybe someday we may have cars that are programmed to not be able to exceed the speed limit of a particular road or area automatically by linking the electronic geographic device to the vehicles speed limiter. All the current speeders may not be happy with such a proposal lol.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.