XJO 0.27% 7,659.6 s&p/asx 200

In America:Dow Industrials -0.18%Dow Transports -1.42%SP500...

1. 9,435 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5185

In America:

Dow Industrials -0.18%
    Dow Transports -1.42%
    SP500 -0.82%
    Russell 2000 -2.61%
    Nasdaq100 -0.69%

Comment: Yesterday I said that this rally isn’t looking convincing. Well, after last night, my pessimism has intensified. A narrow range day on low volume at the 34DMA – recently such events have resulted in a retracement soon after.

Is it different this time? Maybe. This short term rally has come off indicator divergences and from an intermediate low. So a pull-back might occur – but might not be as much as the bears expect. We shall see.

Yesterday I also mentioned that the Jobs Report had the potential to move the market. Well, the Jobs Report was a fizzer. Unemployment remained steady. Initial Jobless Claims rose but less than expected. So the market ignored the report. Just to show the market couldn’t give a fig about news, Spain and Italy debt was down-graded, but it didn’t send the market into a spin. Maybe down a bit – but not a death spiral.

NewHighs/NewLows 9/32. Until we see NH>NL (and by a big margin), the health of this market remains in doubt.

The Materials Sector -1.52% and Energy Sector -1.23%. Copper was down -0.7%. Those figures are weak and negative for the Australian market on Friday. Only one of nine S&P Sectors was up with Financials the worst, -3.59%. Maybe the news about the debt downgrades did have an effect.) The Banking Index was down, -4.31%. Semi-conductors up, +0.44%. (One of the few bright spots in the market indices.)

Europe:
    France +0.66%
    Germany +0.54%
    London +0.23%

Gold in U.S. Dollars is down -0.7%. Gold in Oz Dollars is down -1.04%. AUD/USD up, +0.27% to finish at 97.84. Above minor resistance level around 97.

EWA (the ETF for Australian shares) up +0.61%. Sometimes EWA leads the Ozzie stock market, sometimes it follows. That’s a disappointing up figure for the EWA after a big up day in Australia and a modest up day in the AUS/USD. That suggests the Australian market will be under considerable pressure on Monday.

Technical Comment on the Dow Industrilas:
    The DJIA finished at 11103.1. Back above 11000 – the oscillation mid-point for the past two months.
    Above the 8-Day MA. Positive.
    Below the 34-Day MA. Negative.
    Indicators:
    * The 8-Day MA is below the 34-Day MA. Negative
    * The 13-Day MA is below the 150-Day MA. Long-term negative.
    * RSI.9 is at 52. Above 50. Positive.
    * MACD Histogram marginally above Zero. Neutral.
    * MACD (zero lag) marginally above zero. Neutral.
    * CCI.9: +16.9. This is now in the critical zone – rejection around the zero area would be negative.

RSI and Stochastic have turned positive. We need to see a strong move above the 34DMA. In the short term, I don’t think that’s going to happen.

This market is stalling at the current level on weak volume. The extent of the expected pull back will be decisive. A new low would be bearish.

For the bullish case, I still want to see a positive 8/34 MA x-over before I’m convinced.

Long term, the market needs to get above resistance at around 11700.

Remain cautious. DYOR.

Good luck
    Red

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.