BMW, Samsung SDI developing battery

1. 856 Posts.
    BMW, Samsung SDI jointly developing battery
    By Lee Hyo-sik, Yoon Sung-won
    March 19, 2015

MUNICH, Germany ― BMW said it is closely working with Samsung SDI to develop an improved electric vehicle battery, a BMW executive said Thursday (KST).

BMW Automotive Group's purchasing division head Klous Draeger showed confidence in the cooperation with the battery manufacturing affiliate of Samsung Group during an annual press conference in Munich.

“As of now, we have an exclusive supply contract with Samsung SDI for battery cells for our i3 electric vehicles,” he said.

When asked if there is a chance for BMW to get batteries from companies other than Samsung SDI, Dreager said no.

“In five or 10 years if we produce too many electric cars and demand exceeds supply, only then might we consider getting batteries from other companies. At the moment, we have no plan to get batteries from other firms,” Draeger said. “I don't know why there have been rumors that we would get battery cells from LG Chem.”

In July, Samsung SDI signed an agreement with the German carmaker at the BMW Driving Center on Yeongjong Island, Incheon, to supply electric car batteries worth trillions of won.

At that time, the two companies mentioned only the supply deal of Samsung SDI batteries for BMW's i3 and i8 models. But the carmaker is likely to see more electric vehicle batteries in the near future as it has said it will launch electric-vehicle versions of its entire car lineup.

BMW said it will gradually expand the electric car lineup by launching plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) based on its compact sedan 3 series next year, followed by this year's X5 PHEVs.

The BMW executive's remarks can be seen as a positive sign for Samsung SDI to win an extended deal to supply batteries for other BMW models.

Expectations are that by next year Samsung SDI will be able to provide the carmaker with improved electric car battery cells with at least 20 to 30 percent more capacity than what is available now.

http://ht.ly/2WavUd

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.