LYC 1.39% $6.56 lynas rare earths limited

BMW's new Hybrid. May mean RIP 48 MH, page-2

1. 19,577 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4947
    Lol CJ, that diatribe proves two things, you have a terrible memory, and are blind to anything that disproves preconceived nonsense.

BMW clearly stated their intentions:

All future BMW internal combustion engines to include 48-volt hybrid system by 2025

3 Oct 2018

BMW has revealed that all of its internal combustion engines (ICEs) will be paired with a 48-volt mild hybrid system by 2025.

“That is the reason why all combustion engines by 2025 need 48 volts or something for fuel consumption. That is the reason why I am not investing too much in the first generation that is belt-driven alternator, 8-10kW. Of course they do not offer a lot of functionality.

“So I am working on the second generation. I see it beyond 2022. I am working on it. They will have bigger battery of 48-volt. They will include the e-motor in the transmission. And they will generate more than 20kW.

“The only problem is, we do not find enough customers who want to drive electric vehicles and face all of the constraints that are a result of it. I am investing heavily in ICEs for the 48-volt.

So I went looking for their 2nd Gen and found they had signed a +10Bn Euro contract with ZF for their new modular electrified transmission due 2022 manufactured in Germany:

ZF introduces new generation 8-speed automatic transmission for hybrid drives

July 15, 2019

ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Friedrichshafen, Germany, has introduced a new generation 8-speed automatic transmission for hybrid drives. Typically, hybrid transmissions are built by taking an efficient automatic transmission and replacing the torque converter with an electric motor with a higher power density, but ZF’s transmission is designed specifically for hybridisation from the start.

The new transmission’s modular construction system reportedly enables mild, full, and plug-in hybrid drives to achieve top performances between 24–160 kW. The power electronics are no longer designed as a separate unit, but instead fully integrated into the transmission housing without increasing the outer dimensions of the transmission.

ZF stated that it estimates that at least 70% of all new vehicles in 2030 will still have an internal combustion engine (ICE).

In addition to plug-in hybrids with high voltages of around 300 V, mild hybrids are also expected to play a key role in the coming decade. They have a voltage level of 48 V and allow for considerable CO2 savings by generating power through regenerative braking recovery that can later be used as drive power.

Furthermore, mild hybrids are said to lower pollutant emissions by providing additional power during launch and acceleration processes – driving conditions in which conventional internal combustion engines emit a relatively high amount of pollutants in a short amount of time. 48 V drives can be installed on several locations in the driveline. Installation on the crankshaft at the engine output (Position 1) and on the input shaft (Position 2) are particularly efficient.

The new generation from ZF is suitable for both installation types. The electric motor can reach a maximum power of up to 25 kW and thus optimally support the internal combustion engine in virtually all operating parameters.

ZF will begin manufacturing the new generation 8-speed automatic transmission in Saarbrücken, Germany, in 2022. The market launch in China and the United States will follow shortly thereafter.

Effectively BMW, as are MB, VW, Audi, etc, are offering the CONSUMER the choice of which electrified platform they want to purchase, most particularly in a level playing field with zero or greatly reduced subsidies. Anyone with any mkt savvy would be wise NOT to try and out guess the consumer on preconceived notions but to look for trends before opening their mouth or banging away at the keyboard.

Most particularly, as Govt's slash subsidies I'm watching for their reaction/recognition MHEV as a means to achieving the looming average fleet emission caps, as currently mooted in China, where two of Geely's best sellers in July where newly introduced MHEV built on a Volvo platform.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.56
Change
0.090(1.39%)
Mkt cap ! $6.131B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.53 $6.58 $6.51 $14.95M 2.285M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1500 $6.54

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.56 6919 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$6.55
  Change
0.090 ( 1.39 %)
Open High Low Volume
$6.53 $6.58 $6.51 732559
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.