BNB babcock & brown limited

bnbg, page-14

1. 1,190 Posts.
    Dargie,

You are right and this has been a consideration for me also. It's probably unlikely but certainly feasible.

Another angle which I forgot to mention, is the company could embark on an on-market buy-back. I didn't find anything in the prospectus that prohibits them from doing so but again, I'm happy to be wrong if someone knows different.

At a technical level, if the company wants to reduce debt they either pay it off (through asset sales or earnings) OR buy it back at less than face value. I guess in your example, they are effectively doing the same with shares.

The issue here is of course seniority. The banks probably wouldn't be too happy if B&B started buying back their own sub debt before paying of the banking syndicate. The question here of course is whether the lending group would actually have a say in the matter.

At current market prices, B&B could start retiring the debt for say, 5, 10 or 20c in the dollar. For every note they buy (at $5.50 current price) they retire $100 worth of debt on the balance sheet.

I am not sure of the ASX rules surrounding on-market buy-back of debt instruments and whether the company has to notify the market in a similar way to equities. If not, this could be something they are currently doing.

Finally, if a suitor was to emerge for the group, they would be well advised to start buying up the notes prior to an offer being made. The same reasoning applies.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BNB (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.