JovancoI agree with most of your post but keating /hawke had...

1. 9,689 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 455
    Jovanco

I agree with most of your post but keating /hawke had some serious isues.
    First IR's was a mess for business which had no choice but to comply, then keating opened up the economy to global competition,and over the years new costs have continued to be loaded onto industry till we simply have become uncompetitive the affects have come home to roost now PMI 36 and manufacturing decimated.
    Secondly keating /hawke were never concerned about their rising debt as long as the economy could afford to pay the interest.So if howard didn't win and keating maintained the spending /rising debt because of booming mining revenues I believe we would have entered the GFC and been in a completely different situation.
    I do blame howard for introducing unaffordable housing policy which has been continued by both sides,and his stupid middle class welfare but both sides bribe voters.

Imo howard maintained a stable economy and paid back labors debt during boom times and introduced an excellent GST but unfortunately was forced to restrict its coverage.

ps i'll give keating a big tick for this policy during his economic problems eg keating introduced 100% immediate ST deductibility for plant and equipment purchases smart policy with long term benefits,current government introduced pink bats,not even locally made.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.