Books & Reading

1. 15,960 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134
    I've had a lot of pleasure from books over the years, not so much lately though.
    All kinds of books - novels of course, European history, biographies, even tax law judgements when that was a part of my life. Theses days I favour short stories and collections of letters which I can pick up and put down as I wish.
    What I tend to like most is something just gently humorous, quietly satirical, full of interesting observations.

At the moment I am delving from time to time (for the 2nd time) into John Galsworthy's "On Forsyte 'Change", a series of short stories about a very pecunious Victorian & Edwardian family and their times.

"Such historians as record the tides of social manners and morals, have neglected the bicycle. . . . . . . . Under its influence, wholly or in part, have wilted chaperons, long and narrow skirts, tight corsets, hair that would come down, black stockings, thick ankles, large hats, prudery and fear of the dark; under its influence, wholly or in part, have bloomed week-ends, strong nerves, strong legs, strong language, knickers, knowledge of make and shape, knowledge of woods and pastures, equality of sex, good digestion and professional occupation - in four words, the emancipation of woman."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.