BOC 7.61% 49.5¢ bougainville copper limited

bougainville copper ltd, page-32

1. 35 Posts.
    B’ville enters an historical moment

BOUGAINVILLE yesterday witnessed an historical occasion — the signing and issuing of the writs to officially kick-start the province’s self-government.
    Resigned Governor John Momis and Bougainville People’s Congress president Joseph Kabui signed the 40 writs in front of a packed conference room witnessed by representatives from the Australian Government, Deputy New Zealand High Commissioner Peter Lund, National Government leaders, Australian legal adviser to the Bougainville Constitution Anthony Regan who travelled from Washington DC, provincial leaders, women leaders, intending candidates and election officials.
    The writs are for the people to elect a president, a speaker, three women leaders for North, South and Central, three ex-combatants and 33 representatives for the province’s autonomous government.
    The constituents are:
    * BUKA — six;
    * TOROKINA — one;
    * KIETA — six;
    * NISSAN/ATOLLS — two;
    * KUNUA/Keriaka— two;
    * Tinputz — two;
    * SELAU/Suir — two;
    * BUIN – four;
    * Siwai — three; and
    * Wakunai — two.
    Election manager Mathias Pihei, Administrator Peter Tsiamalili, Mr Momis and Mr Kabui said it was a momentous occasion for Bougainville.
    They also appealed to everyone on Bougainville to make the election a success and assured that they would work closely with the election office to make sure the process was not derailed.
    “This is now Bougainville’s very important moment, a historical occasion in the history of Bougainville beginning today at 4pm,” Mr Pihei said.
    Mr Momis said: “Bougainville is very fortunate for being allowed once again a new regime, the opportunity to participate in a participatory democracy and in participatory development. The people of Bougainville must now become agents of their own destiny. This is the moment of truth because the issuing of writs today is a public demonstration of a successful and united work.”.
    Mr Kabui said: “I appeal for a respectful campaign. Let us show the world that we can contest and work together, that we can do it once again. I can tell you now that I’m a very proud man because we have shown the world what peace is all about.
    “The clock has started to tick. It’s no longer an idea, no longer a story. It’s a reality, the first autonomous government that we will have in the Southern Hemisphere.’’
    Mr Tsiamalili said: “I’m proud that we have done it purely on commitment. This is the beginning of a new era for all of us.”
    Nominations officially opened with the issuing of the writs.

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BOC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.