BOC 7.61% 49.5¢ bougainville copper limited

bougainville copper ltd, page-33

1. 35 Posts.
    The Mekamui candidate
    The upcoming election for president of Bougainville's autonomous government appears to be shaping into a close race between two prominent local leaders, but the real interest may be in a dark-horse third candidate. In addition to Governor John Momis and former provincial premier Joseph Kabui, both of whom have declared their candidacy, it is rumored that James Tanis might throw his hat into the ring. Tanis is currently associated with Kabui's Bougainville People's Congress, but he was formerly a member of the shadow government created by Francis Ona's Mekamui Defense Force, and he is believed to retain connections to Ona.

If Tanis does contest the election, it will be the latest in a growing number of signs that Ona - who boycotted the peace process and controls a " no go zone" in Bougainville's hills - might be ready to give up the fight and go political. Although the MDF has thus far refused to disarm, it has permitted voter registration in the no-go zone, and allowed a census to be taken in the area it controls. In addition, Ona himself recently showed up at a rally in favor of independence, marking the first time in 16 years that he set foot outside his village.

If the MDF makes the transition to a pro-independence political party, it will be the real end of the Bougainville conflict and possibly one of the best things that could happen to the island. I carry no brief for Ona, but the Pacific has plenty of pro-independence parties that contribute to national dialogue. If he competes for popular support on that basis rather than as the shadowy dictator of a quasi-state, it can only be a good sign for peace on Bougainville.

http://headheeb.blogmosis.com/archives/cat_pacific.html

Tanis puts hands up to be president

BOUGAINVILLE Peace Minister James Tanis, seen by many in Bougainville as the most likely vice president, became the first to nominate for the presidential election on Friday. Mr Tanis had earlier at the launch of the Bougainville Independent Movement extended an olive branch to self-styled republic of Me’ekamui president Francis Ona to lead the party.
    Mr Ona, in two public rallies in Arawa and Buka, maintained his self-appointed position and called for Australian Federal Police serving under the Australian Assisting Police banner as part of the Enhanced Co-operation Program to leave Bougainville.
    Mr Tanis was the first to nominate among the likely presidential candidates which includes John Momis, who resigned from the Bougainville Regional seat in the National Parliament, former Bougainville National Congress president Joseph Kabui and Leitana Council of Chiefs chairman Joel Banam.
    “Well, this is a changing world. I’m capable of running for president. I’m confident I can lead Bougainville if the people vote for me,” Mr Tanis said after his nomination before returning officer Joseph Kaipu.
    Mr Kabui is expected to nominate in his Arawa home town with a traditional fanfare by his supporters while Mr Momis returns to Buka today and his nomination should happen before close of nominations on Thursday, his office said.
    North Bougainville returning officer George Tarala said 16 contestants had nominated for the Buka seat specifically.
    Of the other seats in Buka, seven hopefuls had nominated for Haku, including first Bougainville administrator Sam Tulo, another leading Haku politician Thomas Anis, Januarius Tenevi and Thomas Kenneth.
    The electorate of Hagogohe had three nominations, Halia two and Tonsu one.
    Election officials have positioned themselves in South Bougainville and Central Bougainville from Friday so more nominations are expected today from there as well as the North Bougainville mainland.
    The autonomous Bougainville government elections will result in votes for a president and a speaker, three women leaders representing North, South and Central Bougainville, three ex-combatants and 33 representatives.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BOC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.