ESK 0.00% 19.0¢ etherstack plc

Bought on the % increase, page-358

1. 137 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 83
    In the Samsung blog linked in my earlier post, Samsung bloggers wrote:

"LMR-IWF is a key solution that enables interoperability between LMR and MCPTX networks, bridging the gap between them. Once LMR-IWF is implemented, LMR devices can communicate with advanced MCPTX smartphone devices. In the U.S. alone, over ten million LMR devices are currently in use by public safety agencies and enterprises. At the same time, given the on-going large-scale deployments of PS-LTE networks for MCPTX in the U.S., the interoperability between LMR and MCPTX is becoming even more important for both types of networks to co-exist and operate together."

Etherstack have been working with Samsung on the LMR-IWF solution. It is proposed to roll the solution out worldwide although it appears they are targeting the US first.

Not all public safety agencies will implement the LMR-IWF solution. Some will implement PS-LTE. Samsung bloggers wrote:

"There are some cost-efficiency and time concerns around replacing the entire legacy LMR system with broadband LTE networks that enable the latest MCPTX services. Governments have already made significant investments in LMR network solutions and are often hesitant to rip and replace their existing networks to implement PS-LTE networks that enable MCPTX."

The size of the market is dependent on how many organisations will upgrade their LMR systems using the LMR-IWF bridge, compared to those who will implement LTE networks.

My background is implementing IT systems in global organisations. Cost and time-to-implement are important vendor selection factors. When organisations have limited IT budgets, they often implement the middle ground solution not necessarily the best available technological solution. There is usually an intention to prolong the life of the existing investment and implement the more advanced solution later as market conditions improve. If the technology provides similar functionality and reliability to broadband LTE networks at a lower cost and faster implementation time, then Samsung-Etherstack are onto a winner.

I recommend following any information on LMR-IWF to get insights into the market potential as opposed to looking for announcements from ESK. It will be too early for ESK to call the revenue as it will take time to work through the vendor selection process with each public safety organisation. The teaming agreement with Samsung was only signed at the end of June.

This should be a medium to long term hold share.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ESK (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.