Breaking Bad computer ransomware

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    I am sure I that I have seen that los pallos ad in my internet travels lately.

Breaking Bad computer ransomware encrypts files, asks for up to $1,000 to regain access

By Xavier La Canna
    Updated yesterday at 7:59pm
    PHOTO: A message delivered to people who open the infected malware.(Supplied: Symantec)
    MAP: Australia
    A new computer virus has begun spreading in Australia that references the Breaking Bad TV show in a ransom note demanding up to $1,000 to decrypt files it infects.
    A blog post from the Symantec anti-virus company on Sunday said the so-called crypto ransomware was a new threat to Australia.
    "The malware encrypts images, videos, documents, and more on the compromised computer and demands up to AU$1,000 to decrypt these files," Symantec said.
    "On analysis, we discovered that the theme used in this attack was styled around the now infamous TV show Breaking Bad."
    The ransom demand references the fictitious Los Pollos Hermanos chicken chain, which was run by drug kingpin Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad.
    An email address connected to the ransom demand also mentions "the one who knocks" which is a reference to a line from Breaking Bad's main character Walter White.
    The warning from Symantec said the malicious software came from a zipped archive that used the name of a courier firm in its file name and included the file "PENALTY.VBS".
    PHOTO: This edited copy of the ransom note directs people to information on how to buy Bitcoins. (Supplied: Symantec)

That file downloads the ransomware and also opens a legitimate PDF file to trick people into thinking the initial archive was OK.
    Files targeted by the software include commonly used word documents, images, spreadsheets, songs and more.
    The ransom demand links to a video tutorial on how to obtain Bitcoins, a type of digital currency, so people can pay the ransom demand.
    Once the money is paid, the blackmailers then provide a key to unlock the information.
    Advice from IT consultant

IT consultant in NSW, Peter Saville, said ransomware was becoming an increasingly common type of threat to computer users.
    "It is an fairly common scenario now. They can encrypt any of your personal details," Mr Saville said.
    Mr Saville said the virus depended on a level of human interaction, so if people did not click on the suspect folders they would not be affected by the threat.
    He said people should ensure they regularly backed-up important information.
    In 2012 cyber criminals using a type of ransomware demanded a Gold Coast medical centre pay $4,000 to decrypt sensitive information held on a server.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...re-encrypts-files-asks-for-up-to-1000/6461606

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.