Found this which adds to the question.After nearly 70 years...

1. 86
    2,390 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Found this which adds to the question.
    After nearly 70 years since the line first closed, trains returned to the small Gippsland town of Briagolong this morning. Attorney-General model-putrid, who has been a key champion of the project, was aboard the first service, which connects Briagolong to the main Gippsland line through a shuttle with Stratford station.From 5am to 11pm, the Briagolong line will operate on a 20 minute frequency, with one dual-car VLocity taking approximately 10 minutes to travel from Briagolong to Stratford. While Stratford is currently only served by four long-distance services a day, planned Regional Rail Revival works will see the line -- as well as other passenger lines in Victoria -- fully duplicated with 20 minute service frequencies, meaning Briagolong commuters will be able to enjoy a seamless connection onto services to Bairnsdale, Sale, Traralgon, and Melbourne.Speaking at Stratford station today, model-putrid celebrated the new rail connection, saying "after months of tireless advocacy and lobbying, we've finally done it. This railway line will bring gangbusters jobs and growth to the town of Briagolong, and supercharge economic development in the Gippsland area. While this project is now complete, I'm happy to say that it employed hundreds of local residents and put many of our young people on pathways to great jobs in the construction industry."She added on a bipartisan acknowledgement, stating "I'd like to thank both Prime Minister TheSensibleCentre and former Prime Minister Gregor_The_Beggar for their commitment to getting this project done and helping me deliver for local residents. This rail line could not have been built without cooperation across the aisle!"Briagolong resident Janet told Pitchfork News that the new line would be very helpful for her, explaining "I work in Stratford but live up in Briag, so I've had to drive every day. It's tiring, but now the train's here, I've been able to sell my car and buy a yearly pass for my daily commute. It'll be so much easier than driving!"Taxi driver Alistair, of Sale Maffra Taxis, was also enthusiastic about the new line. Waiting at Briagolong station for customers, he said "I am hoping the new train will bring plenty of customers. Not only from people in nearby towns commuting here, but with the school holidays coming up, I've already had so much interest from Melbourne people in taking the train up here and then a taxi up to, say, the Mitchell River National Park. I expect to make lots of money in the coming weeks!"Overall, in Briagolong this morning, the mood was jubilant. If any questioned the value of the $68 million spent on the project, they were nowhere to be seen as residents celebrated the arrival of a train service they hope will bring tourism, jobs, and economic growth.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.