bring back any memories?, page-2

1. 30,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 174
    Well, I don't remember news reels before the movies - but then, I never went to the movies! All the rest I fear I was perfectly familiar with! Not that I was allowed anywhere near the mangle, for fear that my fingers would be pulped.

Favourite fast food was sardines on toast. No toaster, of course. Toast the bread both sides under the grill. Then spread sardines carefully on the toast, making sure that the sardine/tomato sauce mix reaches just to the edge of the toast. Not far enough, toast burns, too far, messy grill pan to wash up. Return under grill to heat up the sardines.

If you weren't hungry when you started, you'd worked up a nice appetite by the time you were finished!

Dad's car needed reconditioning. The smoke was too much even for those days (probably the cost of the oil was the main factor). Got home from work Friday evening, and took the engine to bits. Took the block and crankshaft into town Saturday morning and picked them up in the afternoon, with the new pistons and bearings. In the meantime he reground the valves. Put it back together Sunday and drove to work Monday morning.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.