bring back any memories?, page-30

1. asf
    9,887 Posts.
    gmt, important to keep the Queen's English alive for this newer generation. I hope their teachers are going through their work with a red pen (although I realise these days, teachers have to emphasise self-esteem in children, and not spelling errors). I am old-school. ;) I suppose these kids are spelling "realise" and "emphasise" with a z, too. :(

LJsilver, yes, random breath testing is good, as are speed cameras, 50 zones in residential areas, etc. I just remember my cousins on farms learning to drive at the age of 12, if not younger. We would all be more responsible now, but gee, we used to have fun with cars in those days.

So, speaking of school, blackboards were de rigeur, one had to bang those rubbers together to keep them clean; corporal punishment was given out to boys in boys' schools, and apparently to girls too, before my time. One was given "lines" when one was bad, and teachers had no problems keeping you back until dark, with no phone call to parents- you just wandered home when the sadistic teacher decided you were allowed.

Oh, and there was only one sort of pool- an above-ground one, of course! Who ever heard of sun screen back then?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.