bring back protectionism

1. 1,281 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 310
    I don't think protection and tariffs are a bad thing.

Sure it will make a lot of the things we use more expensive but the flow on effects and benefits to the country would also outweigh those costs. (IMO)

We would certainly have a lot more jobs as the manufacturing sectors become a more and more even proposition price wise. The money multiplier effect and supply chain increase would see a lot more wealth getting distributed to the population so that we could afford the extra price for goods.

We would be able to keep our expertise and improve our skills so that we become more efficient at what we do and perhaps even compete effectively in some manufacturing areas on the world market.

The tariffs and duties raised would also help the government cash flow. The reduction in unemployment would similarly reduce an ever increasing social security cost.

It makes me sick to think how many jobs and expertise have flowed overseas because we want to show that we are a fair player on the world stage. There is no such thing as a level playing field in international trade and all countries are out to protect their own interests. I believe it is time to replace idealism with realism and protect what is ours.

Just my opinion.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.