Not sure I agree Lappy about longer terms. Lord knows we...

1. 10,410 Posts.
    Not sure I agree Lappy about longer terms. Lord knows we wouldn't want to have been stuck with Gillard for 5 years.

The political dynamic has changed in recent years. Voters more willing to lodge a protest vote and elect fringe dwellers, particularly in the Senate. Witness the Gillard and now the Abbott stalemates.

I am happy with 3 or possibly 4 year terms. What I think needs urgent attention is the voting system.

First, to get rid of mandatory voting. Don't make idiots vote, and it's likely they won't.

Second, parliament can amend the Electoral Act to change the voting system. Introduce optional preferential in the HofR and the Senate. This will stop fringe dwellers micro-managing preferences as happened in 2010 and 2013.

Third, amend the quota system in the Senate so that those who only get the votes of a handful - nutjobs like Lambie for instance - don't get a look in. This can be done by a simple Bill. It's in both major party's interests to get rid of fringe dwellers. Shorten is chuckling now, but his turn may come in the next parliament.

Allow those we elect to govern, actually govern. That's the concept I've had for many years. If we don't like them, vote them out next time. Easy. Just let them have a go and keep the fringe dwellers out of parliament. That way, both sides get a chance to implement their plans - if they're not liked, out they go.

Democracy in action.
    Last edited by frasier: 06/02/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.