brogden 'not fit for public office'

1. 5,426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Brogden 'not fit for public office'
    August 29, 2005

DISGRACED former New South Wales Opposition leader John Brogden's lack of respect for Helena Carr showed he was not fit for public office, Labor leader Kim Beazley said today.

Mr Brogden resigned today, saying he had acted dishonourably in calling former premier Bob Carr's wife a "mail-order bride".
    He also apologised for behaving inappropriately towards two women journalists at the same Sydney function where he made the slur against Malaysian-born Mrs Carr.

Federal Opposition Leader Kim Beazley condemned Mr Brogden's comments.

"Politics calls for robust debate and criticism, but this should never descend to personal and demeaning slurs." Mr Beazley said.

"I have known Helena Carr for a long time, she is an accomplished, intelligent and genteel person and I condemn Mr Brogden for his comments.

"I am also dismayed at the disrespect shown to other people involved in this episode.
    "Mr Brogden's lack of respect demonstrated he was not fit for office."

Earlier today, Mr Carr called on Mr Brogden to quit the Liberal leadership and Mrs Carr said she was hurt by the slur.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hang on its changing a bit! Now its a slur at a pollies wife not rasist at all.

All just a little too precious for me.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.