bt super outrage

1. 7,761 Posts.
    I'm wondering if anyone else is appalled by the latest offering of BT Financial Group.

I've received some correspondence from them yesterday telling me that they've decided to take out life insurance on my behalf without actually asking me, and will now start deducting a monthly premium from my Superannuation.

I have not agreed to this prior to them deducting this monthly amount. I normally would throw this sort of garbage in the recycled paper bin, but chose instead to glance through the documentation.

I am furious that they think they have a right to put me on a life insurance plan. They haven't asked me in advance. I then telephoned the company this morning and was told "Government studies have shown that the majority of Australians are underinsured". To which I replied, I don't care how many government studies you've looked at, I'm quite happy with how I am managing my future and if I had wanted to opt for life insurance with BT I would have told them by now. I receive this sort of 'junk mail' for life insurance several times a year from various institutions.

I was told by being a customer of BT that I had agreed to their charter which allows them to change the fees charged at any time after giving notice. They are relying on this documentation as 'notice given'.

I'm now looking at alternatives for where to park my super.

I suggested they tell that to their PR people.

In addition, I am now required to fax or post to them my confirmation that I DO NOT want to participate in a scheme that I never wanted to participate in, in the first instance.

Any one else concerned about this?

Cheers,
    Tangrams

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.