Please add your best budget recipes here so that we have one...

1. 17,937 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 105
    Please add your best budget recipes here so that we have one thread where we can go when we need to be 'frugal' but healthy.

One of my simple standbys is to have a pile of sweet potatoes and whatever else sounds good that's in season or in the garden or fridge knowing the sweet potatoes will go to 'sauce' mostly in the pot, so I add carrots for staying solid, then cauliflower, onion, some garlic or whatever.
    Add in salt to taste.

Boil up in minimal water until cooked through, (steam can be a good element to use) then remove most of the water, add a tin of organic diced tomatoes, small tin of tomato paste, and a can of organic red kidney beans (or chickpeas/ four beans etc) that have been drained and rinsed well, and some chopped up fresh basil/ parsley.
    Pinch of Italian herbs that I keep dried.
    Warm it all back up, stirring regularly.
    Thicken if you need to, but if you've got it right with the loss of water, the sweet potato can be used to thicken as it mashes in.

Serve with either pasta, rice, or on a bed of spinach, silver beet, kale or whatever works for you.
    I'd sprinkle the top with cracked black pepper, chopped parsley, and perhaps a sprinkle of parmesan or 'fake cheese' for vegan. I find the fake parmesan to be pretty good, as I try to be mostly dairy free.

Please keep this thread for recipes or comments / additions to ones posted,
    Photos of your dish would be great. I will try to add one in of mine next time I throw it together.

Simple and cheap is the key in this thread.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.