budget, page-28

1. 23,179 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 827
    Hi dust

it isn't actually as difficult as some imagine to have a performance based system in public shcools.
    The base should all start out equal but there are a vast array of key result areas that can be measured.
    It is simply about setting up a working key performance indictor objectives prior to year commencement for each teacher.
    Here is not the place to go into it but I have writtten literally hundreds of productivity and performance based remuneration packages in the private sector. I can't see why these concepts cannot be transfrred across to the public arena.
    On going performance reviews against a set criteria (that the teacher actually sets and gets signed off agreement by the Principal) would work well imo. A review of performance against the KPI's set after each term would be a good way to start.
    These need to be individualised to the teachers actual classroom responsibilities. Some things are a given across all classes but some things are variable ie if a class achieves at a rate of average 60% pass mark then setting 90% as a goal is not achievable straight away. Need to take small bites. Another teachers class may be achieving 80% pass mark. That target perhaps could be 90%. The higher percentage doesn't mean a smarter or better teacher necessarily. Perhaps they started with smarter kids in the first place. To measure performance, a base must be established and unfortunate currently most public servant roles all operate from a common denominator base. Thanks unions!

The old adaga of plan your work and work your plan. Teachers for mine these days are 'told' and not 'involved'

sorry...a bit of a soap box subject for me

back to the budget

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.