It does matter about being a renter as we were originally...

1. 36,633 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    It does matter about being a renter as we were originally talking about wealth creation which is the ultimate goal for when we are older . At that point we lose our earning capacity and we are relying on the wealth we have created previously . Living costs ( rent ) is a significant part of that .

I wasn't saying that to talk up housing . People are free to choose their destiny and I am not interested in influencing their choices . Buy a house , don't buy a house , I couldn't care less to be honest . The point I was trying to make is that property isn't a bad thing as some posters are trying to say here . For the average person ( not on hc ) who doesn't have a share portfolio or any other investments , buying a house is a pretty sensible thing .

Interesting that you are buying a house and expecting to lose money considering that you have some self professed financial skills . Also interesting that you are expecting to upgrade down the track because of a falling market . The opportunity creating that situation will be working against you with your own property .

As for dreaming that house prices will go up forever , I don't see anyone posting that on here . What they are saying is that all they have to do is match inflation . As their tenants pay down their loan over time , they will become wealthier . History seems to suggest that this will continue to happen . I'm sure we won't see the growth rates of the past couple of years but the just like nearly everything else , the direction is up .
    If we see a reduction in demand over the long term , then I suggest we will see a down trend . By a reduction in demand , I'm talking about big things such as population reduction .

Remember , it's just an opinion .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.