COPPER 0.00% $2.71 copper futures

bullet shortage, page-4

1. 650 Posts.
    Very interesting to say the least...

I just did a little research and my figures are extremely rough, here's what I did.

I think its very conservative to say that 1% of a bullet's weight is made up of copper.

Some bullets are made entirely of copper but I'm not sure if that's common so I'll just go for 1% average and you can change that figure to suit.

I'll use a 9mm bullet capable of being fired by a handgun, probably the most common gun in America, but once again I'm definitely no expert.

A small luger 9mm weighs around 115g from what I can see and that's seems to be a small sized bullet so we'll stay conservative.

1 Billion bullets sold in America each year going on reports so thats probably not counting under the counter sales.

1% of 115g x 1b = 11.5b grams converted to tons = 11500tons

Now that's roughly .07% of world copper production.

Copper production report - http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodities/minerals/copper/copper_t20.html

You can tell I'm bored tonight hey? But its interesting that's only a conservative snap shot of American civilian usage but add in the rest of the world plus the military usage maybe times by 100 and you get 7%.... 7% of copper mined going to bullet manufacturing.

That's something to think about. Feel free to correct my figures if you know better.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.