TPM 0.00% $8.93 tpg telecom limited

TPG investor says NBN should be shut down, bullish about...

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    TPG investor says NBN should be shut down, bullish about prospects for 4th mobile net
    The billionaire director of TPG and representative of its biggest corporate investor,
    Rob Millner, says that the NBN should be closed down and thinks that analysts have
    underestimated the prospects for TPG's proposed fourth mobile networks in Australia
    and Singapore.
    Millner, who chairs Soul Pattinson which owns 25% of TPG, told Alan Kohler’s investment
    website the Constant Investor that the NBN should never have
    been built. He said: “It’s been flawed since day one. It’s just ridiculous.
    The money that’s been wasted and we were just talking now, people
    are not getting the capacity. I know our switchboard at TPG is permanently
    under pressure from people once they have to switch over to
    the NBN, they’re ringing back up to TPG and saying why can’t we go
    back to you because we’re not getting the speed we had with TPG. It’s a flawed system
    and I think originally the government thought it was going to be a world-beater and
    they were going to float it off and pay for it. But the way it’s going now they’ll be lucky
    to get anything for it.”
    Millner said that he believed the market did not understand that the NBN was compressing
    telco margins across the board, not just at TPG but also at Telstra and Vocus.
    “To me it would have been cheaper if the NBN gave everybody in regional Australia a
    satellite dish,” he joked. “It wouldn’t have cost $55 billion.”
    Millner said that he saw TPG’s advantage being in infrastructure ownership, especially
    with its strong backhaul network in Australia. Hence the confidence in moving
    into the mobile network arena.
    “We did pay money for spectrum and a lot of people, again, don’t understand and
    the cost of building this network will not be as great as what people think it will be. If
    you look at the recent last fourth player that started up in the French market, they’ve
    now got 16% of the market. We’ve already got enough mobile customers now to break even.
    We’ve got over 500,000 mobile customers now. It’s going to be a couple of years
    but I think in a couple of years’ time you’ll see a completely different TPG,” he said.
    Millner said there was even a better case for market entry in Singapore. “There’s an
    opportunity there for a fourth player to come in where (TPG CEO) David Teoh’s very
    confident we can make Singapore work. You’ve got to remember the Singaporean government
    is very favourable for new business and you get a lot more support from the
    Singaporean government than you get from the Australian government when you go up
    there to run a business. Again, we’re very, very confident in three or four years you’ll
    see us as a fourth competitor up there with a good percentage of the market,” he said.
    On TPG CEO and 35% shareholder David Teoh, Millner described him as “the
    most expert telecommunications person in Australia. He knows what he’s doing, he’s
    built a very, very good team of people up around him and also when we bought those
    acquisitions, we got some very, very good people from those acquisitions as well. David runs a very good show and I think you’ve only got to look at the performance of the
    company over the last nine years. I think it is.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TPM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.