Burgled, page-178

1. 3,126 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 115
    Sounds great. You have put an unbelievable amount of work in that's for sure.
    For what its worth this is some info we gleaned when touring the bushfire areas in vic. I commented to several people re the Honda fire pump type set ups that were still sitting on the verandas sitting beside a full swimming pool or tank with the house burned down.
    They all said that the full tank of fuel had boiled and evaporated in 10-15 minutes max and then they said exactly what you said, in that you then could not refuel them due to the conditions.
    From those that were set up with sprinklers etc, the comments were that the knock type sprinklers were no match for the fire at its peak.
    The best reports we got were from those that make a spray like a water cone like the fire fighting nozzles make only smaller, the small garden ones that you often see just around the towns on small lawns etc with the rotating ring in the centre or the plain roses. The all brass ones were recommended. Often these had been chosen in the first place due to water availability issues. I thought this was interesting. The smaller head made better use of the available water. I modified my own design based on this information.
    I have found some brass sprays that were part of an industrial freezing unit. They were used to de- frost the coils in the freezer. I will probably mount these along either side of the ridge capping.
    For building protection at the sides I have what I call water balls. They were fitted in large industrial milk vats for cleaning purposes. They are a sphere about 4 inches diameter with 11 cone shaped sprays coming out of them. I have remove a few from one side so that they, mounted at the corner of the building spray along both sides and upwards forming a water wall 7 metres in every direction from each ball that I choose to send it. This all gravity powered so no fuel issues.
    We do have knock type sprinklers set up at all times which are designed to circle the house at about 10 minutes notice as well.
    Our two different supply sources from different areas of the block are built in protection against supply failure
    I forgot to mention a back up dam of about 150000 useable litres and diesel powered pump with 12hrs run time of fuel in its inbuilt tank. Im hoping never to need to use this.
    We are off the grid.
    What size supply line do you use for the fire brigade pick up point?
    The fire brigade here wernt very interested in having a hydrant here or not. I guess they figured that we were fairly organised already.
    Last edited by lucky 992: 23/10/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.