well I'd agree - i think you'll see that i didn't raise the out...

1. 16,997 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    well I'd agree - i think you'll see that i didn't raise the out of africa debate.
    We could extend your comment - not only does racism come in all colours so do bad manners.
    i struggle with this whole issue. i think people have to help themselves, but I can also see how their experiences over 250 or whatever years hasn't equipped them all particularly well to do that.

there are examples of aboriginals who have made a go of it and almost always they have been able to straddle two cultures. i suspect that stepping out of the current state of helplessness and hopelessness is far more complex than we'd like to think. i don't think any of the solutions that we have tried to impose have worked, and some of those they have tried haven't either, but we shouldn't generalize as if all aboriginals are problematic, stupid, difficult, or hateful they aren't. while we generalize and fail to see the huge variation in approach to life we risk never solving the challenges.

the situation is exacerbated by a variation of the problems that white people who come from disadvantaged low socioeconomic backgrounds also have to face. Some make it out of poverty and enable subsequent generations to find another place. others don't. Abuse, poverty and trauma cause psychological damage for most and over that is laid the treatment that we meted out in the form of removal from their culture, active suppression of their culture, passports to move around, lack of citizenship, cultural appropriation and various forms of racial abuse.

tit for tat (ie they are racist too so why should we up our game) doesn't help. it might feel justified but it does nothing to show any moral superiority on our part.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.