There are a lot of points to consider from your post and it...

1. 1,593 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    There are a lot of points to consider from your post and it would take a long time to respond individually. There are some good articles from many on this thread. Overall our perspectives are different and for me that explains some of the difference. Theoretically what you say can be argued and supported by popular view, in real life I find discussions very similar however I have yet to meet anyone that looks at the data and is able to explain the theory when faced with actual data. Only by testing the theory with real time actual data can the theory be proved and turned into reality.

I have no doubt the existing coal fleet will be operational for years/decades to come, that concerns me because the older ones could be replaced with more efficient and lower emission solutions and if they were then we would have confidence in future supply which allows time to properly plan and strategically test a transition to different technologies. Technology agnostic means consider everything and I believe they should be fully costed without distortion.

Regarding the cost the articles portray a renewable perspective. Note there is no disclosure of the key assumptions used in the calculation. I believe that is intentional because it hides the real numbers which are unique to any individual project.

eg: The NEG modelling (see link at bottom) used an exchange rate of US$0.75 (it is currently $0.72) and some forecasts have it going to $0.62 in 2023. That will increase costs in Australia as the wind, solar and most batteries are imported. Also recent changes in Marginal loss factor, Contractor costs, frequency control and curtailment are increasing costs and these issues are now being highlighted as concerns even in the renew articles which is a credit to them.

On the open.NEM site you are correct the chart doesn't show curtailment, until there is a policy I think it will be hidden in a lower capacity factor. From that site there is a good download feature (data button on top right hand side) which is useful. Another good site is the anero.id one and from this they have last years AEMO scada data (https://anero.id/energy/data) from which it is possible to test look at all the generators in the NEM.

http://www.coagenergycouncil.gov.au/publications/energy-security-board-%E2%80%93-final-detailed-design-national-energy-guarantee

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.