Well done in saving such a substantial sum. To answer your...

1. 190 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    Well done in saving such a substantial sum.

To answer your question about "why more people don't do this" (and I suspect you also know this):

1. The majority of people do not live in households with a combined income of $180,000 before tax. The median household income in Australia in 07/08 as per the ABS was $66,820. Even if the median income has increased since 2008 it is still a long way from $180,000.

2. I suspect you do not have children as you refer to "future children" (which is a very large expense you are currently avoiding - the more children the greater the expense)

3. You haven't disclosed how long you've been working for, your age, nor how long it took you to save that sum (but they are relevant to the question as to "why more people can't do the same thing").

4. If you have saved that amount in a relativelyt short time frame your living costs after rent must be relatively small (again probably lower than the average family).

5. If you both work in the health related fields, you may have paid off your HECS / HELP debt up-front (which would be very difficult in the health related area without help from your parents) - again meaning you can save more than other university graduates who have that debt to repay.

I am not intending to belitte your achievement, because it is praiseworthy.

I am just pointing out that it is a bit ridiculous to ask the question about "why more people don't do it", when it is obviously that there is a wide gulf between you and your partners situation and the rest of the population.

2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.