BHP 0.89% $41.19 bhp group limited

I don't know what reasons you have for your stance, but I'm...

1. 2,499 Posts.
    I don't know what reasons you have for your stance, but I'm bullish over the long term and basically my reasons are summed up by these extracts from various interviews Chip Goodyear has given:

"ALI MOORE: So you talk about demand from areas where it hasn't previously been, India and Brazil, at the same time you're cautious about growth outside China, are you maximum bullish or cautiously optimistic?

CHIP GOODYEAR: Well we're probably a little bit of both because if you look at the last 30 years the industry has gone through business cycles the last two or three years but what most people have forgotten is they're actually secular cycles that occur from time to time and what I traditionally talk about is the post World War II years, where for a period of about 30 years there was a significant increase in real commodity prices but that's not the only time that's occurred. If you look over the last 200 years, three or four times you've seen multi-decade increases in real commodity prices and those occur when there is a secular change. Now the question is, what's the next one is China, India and Brazil, are they the next one? We can't answer that today.

ALI MOORE: When you talk about China and decades to come, there'll be nothing but satisfaction about being involved there, does there come a point in China's growth that it moves from being resource driven to being more service driven?

CHIP GOODYEAR: Absolutely. Every economy goes through that kind of cycle, or at least most major ones do and we call that intensity of use of resources and it's very closely correlated to per capita GDP and if you look at the United States, Japan, Germany you see exactly that from about a thousand dollars US, per capita GDP to about 10-thousand dollars, there's a quite steep curve in the usage of oil, the usage of copper and steel and so on so as your income rises you consume more of this but then when you get to about 10-thousand dollars per capita it flattens out and that's the point many economies would move into what we call service economy and at that time the intensity stays at about the same as the economy matures. China today is going to be sitting around 13-hundred, 15-hundred dollars per person, so they've got quite a ways to go before they get to that inflection point of say 8-10 thousand dollars per capita.

http://businesssunday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=59123

A key driver in China, says Mr Goodyear, is urban migration. 15 million people a year are moving from rural areas to the cities and that level of movement is expected to continue for the next three decades.

Mr Goodyear has a word of caution for investers though. There will be downturns he says, and his strategy is to invest in large, low-coast, low-reserve life assets that can survive downturns. He fully expects to make money during the downturn cycles - just not as much.

China's demand for resources will continue to grow, says Mr Goodyear. He doesn't believe they are stockpiling them. "There's economic opportunities to turn resources like Alumina, Nickel and Iron Ore into finished products and that is happening."

Liam points out figures which show that the number of university graduates China turns out is close to the population of Australia. Mr Goodyear says they produce more PhD graduates in China each year than the rest of the developed world put together.

That wave of very motivated, intelligent, hard working people hitting the global workforce is something that has been very underestimated in the western world, says Mr Goodyear.

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s1516074.htm

So the reasons he gives for supporting his long term bullishness sound plausible to me. Sorry but I don't think this is going to do a SGW at all.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BHP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$41.19
Change
-0.370(0.89%)
Mkt cap ! $208.8B
Open High Low Value Volume
$41.38 $41.53 $41.15 $305.6M 7.403M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 802 $41.18

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$41.25 2000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BHP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.