buying a business

1. 86 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    My partner and I have been looking at purchasing a business as we are sick and tired of working for the "man". Considered starting our own from scratch but I like the idea of purchasing an existing income stream. Problem is, everything we see seems to be well overpriced with sellers expecting unreasonable amounts for "goodwill" or plant and equipment. Or alternatively, businesses are being valued on 2012 figures and not 2013 as 2012 seems to be a profit anomaly (high) year for many businesses I have viewed.

I was thinking about it today and it suddenly dawned on me, the people selling their businesses are all in their 50's and 60's. I suspect many of these have little amounts of superannuation and have long viewed their business as their "superannuation" ie - they would sell it for a hefty premium and live off the sales proceeds happily ever after.

I am starting to realise that many of these people are going to have great difficulties selling their business as the younger generation who want to buy either:
    A) don't have the money to buy or;
    B) are unwilling to pay such crazy premiums.

This lead me to thinking ..... in the next 5(ish) years, are we going to see an un-normally high number of businesses come on the market for sale and will these businesses take a long time to sell do to the points made previously?

If they do, this presents great opportunities for cashed up buyers and I am wondering if its worthwhile waiting another couple of ? Unless of cause something wonderful comes up in the mean time.

Would love to hear other peoples ideas/views on the matter?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.