Call for Abbott to be promoted

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Supporters of former prime minister Tony Abbott are agitating for him to be promoted as part of a wider ministerial reshuffle in 2016 triggered by the sudden departure of federal MPs Jamie Briggs and Mal Brough.

amie Briggs and Mal Brough resignations spark speculation of ministerial reshuffle in early 2016

AM
    By political reporter Francis Keany
    Updated 7 minutes ago
    PHOTO: A ministerial reshuffle is expected in the first three months of 2016 following the frontbench resignations of Mal Brough (L) and Jamie Briggs (R). (AAP)
    RELATED STORY: Voters call for details behind Jamie Briggs' shock resignation
    RELATED STORY: Bar scandal claims Briggs, Brough stands aside over Slipper affair
    MAP: Australia
    Supporters of former prime minister Tony Abbott are agitating for him to be promoted as part of a wider ministerial reshuffle in 2016.
    Key points:

• Timing of reshuffle depends on an expected announcement by Warren Truss that he will retire
    • Coalition sources are divided on whether Jamie Briggs will return to the frontbench
    • Speculation Dan Tehan, Scott Buccholz and Alan Tudge could be in line for promotions
    • Voters call for truth behind Briggs' resignation

A new-look frontbench is expected to be unveiled in the first few months of the new year, triggered by the sudden departure of Jamie Briggs and Mal Brough.
    Former employment minister Eric Abetz, a political ally of Mr Abbott, said the former prime minister should be considered as part of a government reshuffle.
    He told Newsradio he would welcome Mr Abbott's return to Cabinet.
    "I'm on the record as saying that I believe Tony Abbott has more to offer public life in Australia," he said.
    "I hope that he stays in the Parliament and I hope that there will be a place for him, a prominent place for him, in any future ministry should he decide to stay."
    That call has been echoed by Nationals Senator John Williams, who told RN Breakfast he would welcome Mr Abbott's return to the frontbench.
    "If Tony Abbott went back into cabinet it would be a good way to heal the wounds of the past," he said.
    Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

VIDEO: Turnbull showed 'poor judgement' over Brough, Briggs affairs: Plibersek(ABC News)

The prospect of Mr Abbott returning to the frontbench was downplayed by Health Minister Sussan Ley.
    "People can make a contribution from wherever they sit in the Parliament, and I think that's an important point, but matters for ministerial appointments is entirely for the Prime Minster," she said.
    "I know that Tony Abbott will continue to make an extremely important contribution, whatever he does in Parliament in the future."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-...year-after-briggs-brough-resignations/7058814

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.