Cameron Smith's comment, page-9

1. 22,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    Cameron Smith is no doubt the most qualified person to speak on the issue of playing or not. However, Cameron Smith is also the most privileged to have become a millionaire from the game.

I know people like to bash footy players, but it doesn't matter what people earn, we all tend to have commitments. Smith is speaking from a privileged position and it is not the all about the players that run onto the field each week. People are hurting or are going to be hurting everywhere in all industries. A close mate who works within the game with a young family fears being put out of a job and what's worse is that it is the worst time to be looking for a job.

I don't have a problem with the NRL or AFL continuing as long as they put every measure in place to protect themselves and the public. If they can do that, why not ? I like Wayne Bennett's plan of isolating the whole competition into one area eg Townsville or Cairns and playing every game out of the same stadium. Give players the option to be with family if they choose and if it decimates any one team, then postpone the comp. But I am guessing that a lot of family members want and need a wage to come in to survive whether they be a player at the lower end of the pay scale, a trainer, a development officer or anyone reliant on the game for an income.

There are already fears within a lot of the ranks (not players) that they will become redundant as costs are being looked out now. It will be the bloke or women living week to week that will be hurt the most and they will be the first gone.

Absolutely, the game should listen to Smith. But if push comes to shove, Smith can sell the $10k ring that the NRL gave to his wife. Some families are not in such a privileged position and I think Smith needs to take that into consideration if it means people losing their livelihood.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.