PLS 2.07% $2.36 pilbara minerals limited

Can a shorter tell us why?, page-93

1. 42,962 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1024
    https://www.*.com.au/porsche-taycan-will-rival-tesla-charge-time-2019-1

I came across this article today but I didn't realise Tesla cars can fast charge in 30 mins albeit 80% of battery capacity. From the current macro perspective I agree that oil lobby in US is a very powerful influencer of US politics BUT the take up of EV is actually based around China's deficiency of crude oil locally sourced. In addition to 'solving' their energy dependence on foreign supply, EV levels the tech manufacturing playing field when it comes to tooling to make the ICE engine with precision tools etc.

With EV, you simply replace a defective engine unlike ICE combustion ones. An electric engine is simply that and the cost are mainly determined by battery capacity = quality of compound. If I ut myself contemplating switching over to EV, I would probably have the same issues as the majority of consumers:

Cost of car
    How reliable is the battery and life span?
    I need fast charging
    How easy is it to charge if I'm out of the home
    What is the depreciation factor?

Until such time as EV becomes competitive to ICE cars that are simply just a lot cheaper, the incentive isn't there to swap. However Chinese Govt have a different agenda, they want to 'quicken' their car manufacturing base of car production to match the best the world offers but maybe not branding just yet. I'm sure the reasons you consider a Great wall instead of a Toyota Ute/4*4 is the reliability factor.

Unfortunately Li is opaque in its structure of pricing so bullish or bearish views equally apply. Likewise I don't think you will see an exponential rise in EV demand until those 'ducks' line up with many macro noises to pull them apart. This will be a very long term hold if one is expecting a great outcome.

Personally I still see subjected to continuous tech improvement in charging and home energy capture, demand will not pick up in the way anticipated. It has first mover advantage and the rest will be what Chinese continuous policy tweaking will achieve from hereon.

I have a small exposure in this sector on the 'just in case' scenario.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.36
Change
-0.050(2.07%)
Mkt cap ! $7.106B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.44 $2.45 $2.31 $66.76M 28.28M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 22020 $2.35

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.36 189205 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.