TPM 0.00% $8.93 tpg telecom limited

Can TPG's fiber network help compete in Singapore's mobile?

1. 214 Posts.
    I have a very basic question about how to understand the relationship between a fiber network and a mobile network. How can they help each other? It should be an engineering question.

In Australia, TPG doesn't have much market shares in mobile and it basically transfer its mobile clients base to Vodafone in exchange for the finance to support its focus on building the dark fiber further.

In Singapore, TPG has bought the low frequencies spectrum and obviously/definately it is going to compete in the mobile market there.

In my very superficial/oversimplified understanding, TPG's only edge to attract meaningful customers is to provide much bigger monthly data allowance because its cost to build a mobile network there can't be much much lower than the existing telcos there...It seems to me it is difficult to simply only lower its mobile plan price.

Check it out Singtel's mobile plan. It seems to me, even considered the fx rate, the mobile value isn't as attractive as Aussie's operators, even its subsidiary Optus.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/i/phones-plans/mobile/postpaid/combo/combo-plans

For example, 3G data combo plan 24 months contract costs you about AUD 60 not including a mobile phone but just some discount while Optus here gives you 10G data sim only for only 12 months contract costing you AUD 40.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/sim-only

I am no plans expert but it looks like there's a good value gap.

(1) Does TPG's existing fiber connects Australia to Singapore?
    (2) If yes, what is its scale and most importantly can TPG make good use of its fiber network to give Singapore customers there much bigger monthly data as an edge to compete?

Any one can help or simply give some color?
    Many thanks in advance.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TPM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.