i"Actually the market sets the cost of bank funding and credit...

1. 5,236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35
    i"Actually the market sets the cost of bank funding and credit (ie. interest rates) not central banks.... inevitable debt deflation"

@Menta

I don't know from where you get your info, but suspect that it is from the same people that accuse central banks from creating bubbles by keeping interest rates artificially low. Whatever the source one thing seems to be clear. They cannot have it both ways, that is, if central banks don't control interest rates then they cannot be responsible for bubbles.

From Paul Krugman.

"It’s true that rates — near zero for the short-term interest rates the Fed controls more or less directly — are very low by historical standards. And it’s interesting to ask why the economy seems to need such low rates. But all the evidence says that it does. Again, if you think that rates are much too low, where’s the inflation?Yet the Fed has faced constant criticism for its low-rate policy. Why?The answer is that the story keeps changing. In 2010-2011 the Fed’s critics issued dire warnings about looming inflation. You might have expected some change in tune when inflation failed to materialize. Instead, however, those who used to demand higher rates to head off inflation are still demanding higher rates, but for different reasons. The justification du jour is “financial stability,” the claim that low interest rates breed bubbles and crashes."

So, Menta, at one ti
    me we had the hyperinflation thing and now the "inevitable debt deflation."

Deft Defletion:
    an economic theory that a general downturn in the economy can occur due to a rise in loan defaults and bank insolvencies because of a rise in the real value of debt when the value of the currency unit rises and the price level falls.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.