Canary in the coal mine?, page-192

1. 28,471 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 250
    Self interest on a corporate isn’t possible, I believe.

The layers or degrees of separation from the coal face
    are to great, efficiencies, dollar : reward ratios, middle management being pressured from above (real or assumed) can effect those at the face to adopt less than best practices and so on.

The smaller primary industry types in general have a good grasp of the health of their particular areas.
    ————-

I was talking to a friend 2 days ago about the fires and how it is illegal to collect dead wood on Crown Land.
    We both think it is one of the many regulations set in place to appease or to be seen to be green, set in place by state/local governments.
    He didn’t have much more than the normal whinge about Nanny State rubbish but it was a catalyst for an idea that has been lurking in my smallish mind

How about this scenario, would the environmentally friendly consider this do you think?

Collecting of dead/fallen wood Within 1km of all roads bordering Crown Land will be allowed upon payment of a yearly license?

The benefits being that most non emergency services people who die in away from their homes are on roads.
    Roads are the main infrastructure and crucial in any attempts to fight fires, a strip of semi cleaned/reduced fuel load that could be cut off the areas that are need to have hazard reduction burns should be a win win?

A tiny sacrifice of potential homes for bugs and lizards will occur but in the event of big hot fires they and many other types of wildlife could find that these areas could provide their only hope?

The fees collected could be channeled into land management, animal husbandry or general revenue (I believe 2 of these suggestions are better than the other but the other would be more appealing to government )

PS If anyone thinks this idea has some merit and you are the type to speak to a politician, feel free to raise it.
    This is possibly the best time common sense/practical ideas to get past the PC let’s try not to offend anyone brigade.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.