kingpins - essentially I agree with what you are saying, having...

1. 17,909 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 149
    kingpins - essentially I agree with what you are saying, having personally known a small child (age 2) who had cancer, who was treated and is now 28 years old - but the family was devastated, when it happened, especally since both parents are medical professionals.

I will send you some links over the weekends, probably more towards the evening. The book I am translating is not gluten-free, but for 3 days of the 4-day cycle it does not allow bread - and cakes our 'out' anyway. the recipes are very simple, but unusual - I am going to do another try-out beginning in the next fortnight.

What I will let you know is how my children eat and the few things I have modified to fit their diet when they come to my place to eat - one is also a vegetarian, which makes it even harder to get the right nutrients, but she is o.k. - they keep their own chickens and they still eat things like cheese, but the simpler varieties, like fresh cottage cheese, goat cheese are favourites (but expensive).

Often when I do the Viennese Schnitzel thing for the rest of the visitors, I use sliced eggfruit (salt it first and let it sit for a while, then wipe the liquid off) or pre-cooked celeriac (which is the large ugly-looking bulbous vegetable you only get in winter and which is a powerhouse of goodness) precook it for 20 mins to half hour, peel and slice into 1cm thick slices - I then dip it into Arrowroot flour, egg-wash and then gluten-free breadcrumbs. I fry everything gently in a mix of sunflower oil and genuine salt-free butter - watch the frying process! - don't let it get too hot and burn stuff - that's bad - then onto kitchen paper. You could also just lightly fry and then put it in the top of the oven to finish cooking - don't ever get it to the 'black stage' (cancer!)

That with a lemon slice or a homemade fairly liquid mayonnaise or even the obligatory tomato sauce (sigh - yes I have to buy it for my grandchildren!) is a delicious meat substitute - same with egg fruit, they taste amazing when done like that. You also have to go looking for a good tomato sauce, because there is flour or extra rubbish (probably just sugar) in most tomato sauce as well - so I buy 'Dick Smith's Australian All Natural Tomato Sauce 'glutenfree' - plus a good potato salad, also home-made and a salad and you've got a really nice meal.

There is also a whole world of Mediterranean fish dishes available for glutenfree eating - I make a thick soup from a marinara mix, which I usually enrich with extra mussels and a few firm fish pieces, lots of vegetables cut small or small baby pumpkins sliced into disks, beans, carrots, -I pre-cook the veggies lightly (steam) then quick-fry some onions, garlic and then carefully all the seafood - fry it all up Chinese way for a couple of minutes, put the spice and tomato sauce (the pressed Italian, if yo don't have fresh tomatoes), 2 hot peppers, paprika and at the end half a packet of (expensive) saffron and then put it all into a big soup pot, pour either a homemade fish or chicken stock in, or use the cooking water from the veggies, mix in the vegetables and allow to simmer a bit longer, thicken with a bit of arrowroot - if liked you can serve it with freshly cut cilantro on top - not everybody likes cilantro - parsley will do - ah yes and round off the taste with limes (the final tasting process is important, I sometimes round off Italian dishes with even a dash of sugar, especially if the tomatoes are not ripe, or come from a tin, red wine is also a good 'spice').

For non-coeliacs I serve fresh crispy bread with it - for coeliacs there are various wheat-free biscuits and/or bread sticks available, too. - and a light red wine

Arrowroot is my 'go-to' flour/thickener etc. -

tomorrow I am making small meatballs in tomato sauce with fried polenta slices (and a green salad) - you can also serve this with a rice salad - rice pre-cooked and various finely cut veggies put in (carrots, beans), some hot chillies, green peas look and taste great - if you put fewer veggies in then use it as a side dish - as a main dish you can fill the cooked rice with veggies

I'll repeat my email: [email protected] please write to me and I will send you what information/recipes I have, including the bread.

Essentially you can often modify your traditional recipes by simply leaving out the 'flour' part - I have even managed to make my traditional 'dumplings' and 'gnocchi' with potatoes, a bit of potato flour and arrowroot - a bit tricky, as without the wheat flour the mix is harder to work, but a success.

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.