MSB 1.60% 92.5¢ mesoblast limited

antibody, many thanks for your frank and mature response.(I...

1. 16,915 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8380
    antibody, many thanks for your frank and mature response.

(I clicked on the thing that gives you a thumbs up... not sure that it means anything to people.)

You are spot on: I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to MSB... which, self-evidently, is why I am here: to learn about the factors driving the share price.

By way of brief background, because I have never had the time over the past twenty or so years (full-on job and growing family) I have never been an active share investor. All I did was invest in the top large cap stocks (CBA, ANZ, TLS, CSL, WOW, WES; that sort of thing....a financial planner advised that was the way to go and he was right!).

The shares I own have done very well for me over the past 20 years, and have allowed me to retire early, which I am doing at the end of this financial year, and one of the things I want to do in retirement is become a more active investor.

I think most of the shares I own are expensive (I suspect; I don't know for sure, because I have thought that many times before and they've continued to go up), so I am looking to diversify into some higher-risk, higher return shares. As you say, higher-risk shares which have been heavily sold out, like MSB and other biotechs, or maybe some mining shares, such as AGO, or low-priced mining service companies, such as UGL.

So thanks for taking time to shed some light on some of the questions I was asking (for after all, that's what a forum like this is for, is it not?)

I have to admit that I'm still unclear on the role that market manipulators play, and I was interested to learn from people how manipulation had worked in a SPECIFIC mechanistic way in MSB's case (as opposed to Google-ing generic share price manipulation, which was what was suggested to me. I know in broad terms what share price manipulation is: I was just keen to hear from people how - in a practical sense, it had affected MSB). [I had never come across the subject of share price manipulation for a company like, say, CBA, so I am looking for tactile examples of where it is having a real effect, and specifically HOW it is occurring.]

As for shorters, my background in statistics (non-practising, mind you), makes me almost certain that short-selling has no impact on share prices other than over very short time frames. It, alone, certainly cannot explain MSB multi-year share price decline. Quantitatively, over a sufficient timeframe, short-selling and short-covering must neutralise one another. It's statistical axiomatic.

But your valuation insights have provided me with a very good distillation of where to focus my efforts in determining a valuation backing for the stock's $1.5bn of equity value. It's exactly the sort of starting point I was looking for, so thank you most kindly for that.

The milestone payments, in particular, are of interest so I will go away and do some work around those (I assume that, as their name suggests, they are to be paid to MSB at certain stages of clinical trials.)

I now have enough to go away and do some first principles modelling so I won't be bothering you again, hopefully.

Again, thanks for the pointers. I hope that I will one day also have sufficient knowledge on specific companies to be able to help newcomers in the way that you have guided me.

(For that is what a community notice board is all about, is it not? As opposed to: "I know stuff. You don't. So go away and work it out for yourself.")

cheers

Adam

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
92.5¢
Change
-0.015(1.60%)
Mkt cap ! $1.061B
Open High Low Value Volume
95.0¢ 95.0¢ 91.8¢ $1.357M 1.464M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
39 677707 92.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
92.5¢ 82359 20
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.11pm 16/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MSB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.