"With rising interest rates, landlords are going to pass on...

1. 86,124 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    "With rising interest rates, landlords are going to pass on their increased mortgage payments to renters. Govt needs to cap rental increases to 3% Max p.a. to protect renters from landlords who try to increase it too much. While they're at it, they should also put a tax on properties lleft vacant. "

whilst I certainly agree with this "While they're at it, they should also put a tax on properties lleft vacant. "

this part of your suggestion -- ""With rising interest rates, landlords are going to pass on their increased mortgage payments to renters. Govt needs to cap rental increases to 3% Max p.a. to protect renters "

if interest rates rise - say, perhaps 5% ---------- then, who will wear the 2% loss?

do you expect landlords to wear it directly?

do we think that government should somehow compensate landlords for their loss and consider it a cost of some sort towards social housing?

personally, I think we have to put in measures that are probably reasonably radical and more complex than that

I see two issues -------------------

1. solving an acute crisis in housing and

2. setting up a solid system so that any changes one makes to alleviate the acute immediate crisis - do not make the problem worse for the future AND, create a set of conditions that will create a far better overall outcome in the future

I cannot think of a one pill panacea style fix for that -

I suspect that if a government were serious about it - they would have to have quite different taxation property laws - laws that not restricted people from selling quickly or from making a profit via speculation - but, by enticing them to be longer term landlords --- so, make it very expensive to buy a property and sell it in a couple of years - make it very unattractive to buy - and flick - whether it's for renos or not - just make it difficult - but, not difficult to provide longer term holdings.

also - to make taxation laws that hit property hard ---------- WHILST it is owned and when it is sold - over certain values

the French do this and it's extremely effective in keeping a lid on a speculative housing market.

One could then bring in caps on rental rises or similar - one could also bring in compensating landlords for losses if say you put a 3% cap on - but, you had a 5% interest rate rise -

you may well still have people borrowing for investment mortgages - and taking government compensation - BUT - they wouldn't drive the selling prices and buying prices north - because they have that top capital (price) point - where they get hit out of the park with tax if they exceed it - combined with a whoomph in capital gains tax on sale

something like that - don't kill me on exactitude - a full and accurate policy would have to be carefully worked through - but, IMO - it's doable.

Combine that with the empty residence tax - and/or some emergency housing ideas - for now - right now, where we have people living in cars etc. - and, a rise in rental assistance or similar -

then, I think that a serious government with serious intentions of improving the living conditions of it's population -

could actually do some good

we wait

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.