ok..... so you don't understand the economics of hospital care...

1. 44,314 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    ok..... so you don't understand the economics of hospital care or the value of keeping people at home when they don't need to be in a hospital.

many people with total and permanent disability were once cared for in aged care facilities. there was a public outcry over such inappropriate arrangements and this was one of the signal issues that demonstrated the need for the NDIS.

when I started my first training in nursing it was at a large state run "Retardation Hospital". I learned how people in such places were abused and limited, unable to live a 'normal' life.

the NDIS has completed the journey started in the late '80s when it was realised how people with physical disabilities, but normal brain/mind functioning, were being held back and poorly managed.

in real dollar terms its far less costly to look after people in their own home. in human terms, people with disabilities are now able to live better and more functional lives. many have been enabled to find work, enjoy giving value to the community that supports them, to pay taxes and decide how to spend their own earned money, and to cost the govt/nation less as they learn how to live more independently than at any -prior time in history.

you need to look at the broader picture bacci.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.