That was what I remembered MistyR until I read an article in the...

1. 461 Posts.
    That was what I remembered MistyR until I read an article in the AFR of 5-6 April Page 38 which quotes a tax adviser for Deloites.

In part the article quotes this guy :-

"The other important aspect, says Szekely, is related to the assets that you buy. Not all assets owned by individual investors are entitled to a discount. In the case of shares it only applies where they have been bought as an investment that will deliver both income and capital gains. Where shares, such as speculative mining shares, are bought for capital gains only, there is no discount entitlement.

Szekely says that from his experience the vast majority of people are not aware of this restriction, even though it is clear and long-established law".

He goes on to say that although investors will often claim a discount on such shares when they sell them, they are not really entitled to this and if they were queried by the Tax Office, they would have the discount denied and be asked to pay tax on the full profit as well as interest on the tax debt.

I am not a tax expert but thought this was worth mentioning.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.