Thanks for your input on this Headhunter. I've been web...

1. 1,005 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 85
    Thanks for your input on this Headhunter. I've been web searching on this since I read your reply, but again failed to find any indication that the strategy would fall foul of part IVA. That is not to say that you are wrong, but the very few new posts I found on the subject do not agree.

I did find some definitive answers but they were US related. They have similar wash sale rules to us but it only applies when sold at a loss. Selling for a gain and repurchasing is allowed in the US and is in fact a recommended tax strategy for those who anticipate moving into a higher tax bracket. The US situation is best summed up by these posts.

https://finance.zacks.com/30-day-rule-buying-selling-stock-2065.html

The wash sale rule prevents you from selling shares of stock and buying the stock right back just so you can take a loss that you can write off on your taxes. The wash sale rule does not apply to gains. If you sell a stock for a profit and buy it right back, you still owe taxes on the gain.

or this...

According to the tax law, your loss transaction and the purchase of the replacement securities are a “wash,” so you shouldn't be allowed any tax benefits. ... If you sell for a gain and buy back identical stocks or securities within the above time frame, Uncle Sam is happy to collect his due with no qualms.

Even if there is ambiguity in regards to whether it would be frowned on or not, I think one way to get round the situation may be to write short term PUT options over the parcel of shares. If the options get assigned, then one buys the parcel back. The intent here would be income generation, but the same tax benefit would come with it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.