Capitalism failing Aussies, page-78

1. 6,665 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    I'm not sure that the homeless figure only represents those that are forced homeless, or a mix of travellers, nomads, and other types of people who still like living under the stars, only carrying their swag. Having said that, for our people that are homeless, why aren't we helping them instead of sending money offshore?

On the question of 'middle class', I don't think the middle class has ever been as strongly represented, as it is today. I'd put all the people I associate with as middle class, although, there's the occasional deluded one thinking he/she is a class above. The problem with the middle class of today, and I'm talking about Sydney, is they are heavily in debt. Those who are under 40, have never seen interest rates much higher than 8%, and they are mortgaged up to the hilt. Taking away their large debt, they are still holding fair equity in their homes, but any further drop in values could see that equity starting to look a little sick. In Sydney, if interest rates push up 1-2%, there could be a lot of pain.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.