carbon tax: pm gillard did not lie

1. 193 Posts.
    I class myself as a swinging voter. I have voted for Labor and liberal in the last 30 years.

Since the last Federal election Abbott has been saying that Gillard lied to the Australian people when she said, "there will be no carbon tax under the Government I lead". So...lets get some facts straight.

Fact: the dictionary definition of a lie:
    a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

When Gillard made the carbon tax statement, she did not lie, as it was made before the election, and she believed, at the time of the statement, that they would introduce a emmission trading scheme. At the time of the statement then, she did not lie. Following the election, and a hung parliment, negotiations commenced and Gillard accepted the Independents view about a carbon tax. The Independents weighed up the policies of Labor and the Coalition, and decided labor was more sound, given the large costing errors and policies from the Coalition.

So....Gillard did not lie....accuse her of a broken promise...yes. (Howard called these non core promises)
    Accuse her of siding with the Greens...yes (the Liberals have sided with the nationals to gain power and votes...so whats the problem)

Fact: Abbott said don't believe what I say, only my written word. At the start of parliment Abbott signed an agreement that he would honour pairing in the house. He then went on to deny a Labor minister pairing to attend the birth of his child. So his written word was also a lie. Next day, after a party room meeting he changed his mind, as it did not make him out as a good catholic family man.

Fact: Abbott recently went to WA and agreed with the WA Premier that he thought per capita based GST was a good idea. He then went to Tas and when confronted that it would cost Tas $700 mil, Abbott said "I didn't say that" ...so he lied.

Fact: Abbott said that his pre election budget costing were accurate and proffessionaly compiled. he lied....as at the time of the statement he knew they weren't, and the Accountancy firm was later fined.

There are other examples that I can recall that show that Abbott fits the dictionary description of a lie....he said something knowing it do be a lie.

Abbott has now (today) come out and said the PM is untrustworthy.

Go figure

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.